If you are considering dental implants, you need to understand that this is a major surgery. The procedure requires both a skilled surgeon and a qualified dentist. Many things can go wrong if you don’t see a Westfield implants specialist.
The procedure involves placing a metal post into your jawbone. This post will eventually support your artificial tooth. The success of the surgery depends on the post being placed in the correct spot. If it is not placed correctly, you could end up with infections, nerve damage, and other serious complications.
Before you learn of the major reasons to see a specialist, here are the types of detail implants you should know:
- Endosteal implants: These are the most common type of dental implants. They are placed directly into your jawbone.
- Subperiosteal implants: These are placed under the gum but on or above the jawbone. They are used for people who can’t have endosteal implants.
- All-on-4 dental implants: This implant does not require a metal post. Instead, four titanium screws are placed into the jawbone. These screws support a full arch of teeth.
- Mini implants are smaller than traditional implants and are used to support removable dentures.
- Implant Overdentures: These are dentures that snap into place over implants.
Now that you know the types of implants, here are the major reasons to see a specialist:
To ensure your implant is placed correctly
As we stated before, one of the most important aspects of getting dental implants is ensuring the metal post is placed correctly. This is a delicate surgery that requires precision. If your implant is placed even a fraction of an inch off, it could cause serious complications.
Some of the complications include:
- Infection: If the metal post is placed too close to the nerves or blood vessels in your jaw, it could lead to infection.
- Nerve damage: If the metal post damages the nerve that runs along your lower jaw, you could lose feeling in your chin, lip, and tongue.
- Sinus problems: If the metal post is placed too biographypark close to your sinuses, it could lead to serious sinus problems.
All of these complications are serious and can have a major impact on your health. That is why seeing a specialist for your implants is so important.
To ascertain that you are an ideal candidate for implants
Not everyone is an ideal candidate for dental implants. Certain health conditions could make the surgery more complicated or even impossible.
Some of the health conditions that could impact your eligibility for dental implants include:
- Diabetes: If you have diabetes, you are at a higher risk for infection and other complications.
- Heart disease: This condition could make it difficult for your blood to clot, leading to excessive bleeding during the surgery.
- Osteoporosis: This condition causes the bones to become weak and porous. If you have osteoporosis, your jawbone may not be strong enough to support the web series review implant.
To make sure you understand the risks
Dental implants are a major surgery with several risks. You must understand these risks before you decide to undergo the procedure. When you ignore the risks, you are putting your health in danger.
If you want implants, make an appointment with your dental specialist at Dental Studios.